Thursday, January 27, 2011

While you were sleeping

I'm the only person I know who takes naps at night. I fell asleep around 10 and woke back up around 11:30 with a headache. I decided to stay in bed and work on finishing Don Millers "Through Painted Deserts."

Around 12 0'clock between chapters 20 and 21 I started thinking about this historical house nearby that I'd been wanting to visit. I thought about how cool it would be to take my book and finish it sitting on the porch in the cold night air.

So I got up and threw a hoodie and some jeans on over my nightgown. (Yes I am THAT lazy!). I grabbed a pair of argyle socks because everyone knows that if you are about to break the law or do something you might regret in the daylight, you should wear argyle socks. I took my keys, wallet, cellphone and my little red LED flashlight and slipped quietly out of the building to my waiting car.

I pulled up to this historical site quietly noting the surrounding houses. All the windows were dark. No witnesses.  I promise there were no signs with hours posted but anyone that knows me well knows that I have a knack for being on government property when I'm not supposed to be. I got out of the car fearlessly and started to circle the building with my little flashlight (noting the sign advertising the security company proudly protecting the place). It was cold and mostly dark but, there it was, a rocking chair on the front porch, beckoning. I start reading my book on my way to the porch. I made it through the first paragraph and I hear it. "Click". I shine my flashlight in the windows. "Click." I look around. "Click, click, click."

That sealed it. I don't know for sure that it was the alarm going off but what I do know is that you can only commit so many felonies on government property before you get caught so I turned off my flashlight and ran back to the car. I didn't speed off in case any cops pulled up and thought I was driving suspiciously.

After driving off, heart racing, I felt like I was 5 again, running through the woods afraid of my own imagination. I decided to drive past the lake to watch the moon over the water. I realized a few minutes later I wasn't sure what road I was on until I realized I was on the road that takes you past the hospital, not the lake. I could have taken this as a bad omen but I decided to give it another shot. The moon was no where to be seen but the dark, inky blackness of the water reminded me of sitting on the shore in Belize, waiting for the sun to rise.

I stopped off at McDonalds when I made my way back to get some hot chocolate. Driving through town with my hot chocolate and the windows down and Taylor Swifts "Teardrops on my guitar" on repeat, I remembered the things I DID like about living in a small town. Going to Sonic at all hours of the night, knowing exactly where all your friends live in town, hanging out on the elementary school playground talking to your friends about life until 2am or to that drummer who's not so bright but makes up for it in looks. Driving to the lake in the middle of the night to pray or taking your friends camping in undesignated camping areas.

And now I am back in my nightgown, safely in my bed with my hot chocolate and the rest of my book to send me to sleep (slightly fearful that the cops will show up at my door in the morning). Midnight in a small town...... small adventures await.

No comments:

Post a Comment