Tuesday, February 1, 2011

In the Flu and In the Rain

No one feels like having an adventure in the rain. Especially the bitterly cold kind. Add the flu and you can forget it. The only place your exploring is your warm bed.

Driving + fever makes for a bad combination. After driving down a one way street the wrong way, I felt it was time to get off the road. The woman at CVS "there, there'd" me as I struggled to navigate the debit card machine. I asked my stats professor if there was a movie we could watch about stats or if we could have worksheets. All that to say, today wasn't a stellar day for me by any stretch.

On my way back from CVS I started thinking about Peter Pan and how the weather in never never land would change with his mood. I considered how the dreary gray and fog of the day combined with the rain were a fair representation of how I was feeling today. Then I stopped to think how narcissistic of me to consider that the weather would accommodate my mood.

But I stopped to consider that there are days, perhaps, where God feels our hearts so strongly he gives us the beautiful spring days or the rainy winter ones to let us know how important we are to him. Perhaps he asked the sun to shine away today so that I could lay in bed, exhausted in every way, free from the guilt of wasting a perfectly lovely sun. It may be childish but if God can make me so wonderfully complex, number the hairs on my head and guard me as the apple of his eye, he can surely give me a rainy day to indulge the flu and other sorrows.

I realized today that being alone more often has made me hyper aware of what I am doing at every moment. The smallest of circumstances become an adventure for me and today's was finding God's love in both the Flu and in the Rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment