Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A less adventureous adventure

Apparently a hyper vigilance to small town predators comes with a price.

This morning, with hardly a minute to spare, I realized with horror that I forgot to purchase a tooth brush the night before. Granted, I should have realized that before I went to bed but I fell asleep watching"milliionare matchmaker" so my dental hygiene may have fallen to the wayside. Fail. There was no time to to run and buy one, I had exactly four minutes to be at my meeting across the street. I did the only thing I could. I grabbed three chewy mints with christmas trees on them off the fire place mantle and stuffed them in my mouth as fast as I could. I followed that with some significant gulps of water and finished up with gum. Equivalent to brushing? I think so.

Anyone who knows me well know that there are two things I could be considered obsessive about. 1. Checking my food for mold and 2. Personal hygiene. Summoning the courage the to face the world sans brushing my teeth was almost as bad as finding mold on a bagel when you've already eaten half of it.

The highlight of the day was a tie between the sandwhich I ate for lunch and walking in the rain to buy a toothbrush. Did I say adventures in being alone? How about pathetic graspings to fill up the quiet hours without sacrificing myself on the alter of reality tv.

It's times like these I regret my choice to not take up pipe-smoking.I always felt it would come in handy and bring a certain air of refinement. If I smoked a pipe I would sit in the blue arm chair by the fireplace that lit its last fire long ago and say  "oh the pleasure of the pain, give me those lips again. Enough, enough. It is enough for me to dream of thee." Yes, Keats would do nicely.

Instead, I am watching sienfield on a TV that has some signficant deficits. The show appears to have been filmed in the dark after the entire cast fell asleep in a tanning booth. What is visible is partially blocked by the subtitles that are unreadable. Long black boxes appear across the bottom of the screen hinting of the subtitles that once were.

Another precious day of life ends at 8 O'Clock in a small town.

No comments:

Post a Comment