Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fun In the Night

When I rented this apartment no one told me that everyone in the building had a  hearing impairment but I discovered that was infact the case at 1:45 this morning. Were they not hearing impaired, they would have surely heard the incessant beeping coming from the hall. Maybe it was because I couldn't sleep, what with the drip drip dripping outside my windows and staying up to watch a reality show I am too ashamed to own up to, that's probably why I was the only one to hear it.

The beeping started off seeming really faint and then grew annoyingly louder with each passing second. So I wondered around the apartment trying to figure out what the sound was only to discover it was coming from outside my front door. The fire alarm box was beeping and flashing with a light that said "Trouble." I looked around to make sure I didn't see any smoke and wondered why I was the only one standing in the hall in my PJ's pushing the button that said trouble to see if it would help the situation. (turned out not to be a button after all.....).

I didn't know who to call but I hunted up the number to security and called them to report it. One of the two people on the phone might have been easily mistaken for being intoxicated...

Security: ___ security how can I help you?
Me: Yeth, I would like to report there is a giant box outhide my door that keepth beeping and thaying trouble, but thereth no fire (did I mention I still had my bite guard in when I called?)
Security: Have you been outside your apartment?
Me: Yeth but thereth no fire
Secutiry: No they've been going off, we'll send some one over. Are you in **** building?
Me: I'm in ***
Security: Yeah thats **** **** street right? Have you been outside of your apartment?
Me: I don't know where I am. Yeth I went outside. (why does she keep asking me that? Do they want me to go stand out there?)
Security:Ok were sending some one over now

So they came over sounding like the swat team, there were at least four of them and they were awfully chipper for 2:30 in the morning. The beeping ceased for a good 30 minutes and then it started back up again but they came back without another call from me. No one else in the building stirred. The beeping ceased allowing me to return my focus to drip drip dripping and the sighs that can only come from someone who knows that the hope of a good nights sleep is abandoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment