Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Discoveries

Calvin and Hobbes wanted us to know, and rightly, that there's buried treasure everywhere.

It's true. There are surprises to enrich our lives around every corner. If we look for them. Today's treasure was finally finding a spot accessible to the  lake from which I can watch the sunset tomorrow.

There are also discoveries to underwhelm us. Getting ready to write this tonight, I noticed that there are two pieces of packing tape on the wall above my bed. And even as I write this, I notice a piece of masking tape on the wall in between the windows my desk faces. Clearly, whoever was here before me had some sort of tape fetish. Maybe one day, when I am avoiding working on my thesis, I should make a list of everything the previous resident left here. I feel confident it would make for useless but interesting reading.

There are also discoveries to unnerve us, to disturb us, to hurt us. Yes, sometimes these involve others. The pain of disappointment in someone else is acute. But when we are alone, we have only to discover these things about ourselves. We go hunting for buried treasures in our soul and come up with dead bodies.

But enough about that.

These nights alone have brought new discoveries at every turn. I look for them in anticipation, the good, the bad, the underwhelming. The cry ones and the smile ones.

Cry- Figuring out that now is good a time as any to accept that people change.

Smile- When paying for gas tonight I realized that I have turned into a cheapskate. I tried to take two cents out of the "Take-a-penny" box and add it to what I was paying for in gas. Like that would make a difference! I laughed uncontrollably and left the cashier in shame.

I like me and that is no new discovery. The new discovery is that, when left alone with myself, I still like me.

Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment